Crossing Guard: By the fountain

22.1.05

By the fountain

I went tonight to a place we used to go to. I remembered the endless conversations, the tacit affirmations, the spilled drinks and fun times. Memories piled one on top of the other. Has it been that long? You always made me feel that everything everytime was the first time.

Maybe that's it. We did not evolve.

When a relationship dies, we should allow ourselves enough time. Time to mourn, to regret, to doubt, to argue pro and contra. And then comes the time to accept what is, and then we move on.

So by the fountain, I took my first steps tonight. I sat where we used to sit. I pretended to be watching people, yonder by the splashes; when really all I could see are images of the past.

And then a hand from behind me covered my eyes. Guess who, the voice said. PANIC MODE. For I never, never, did like surprises. Well, only a few good ones. And I thought--

this had better be one of them.

6 Comments:

At 3:40 AM, Blogger {illyria} said...

yes, prose that just takes on a life of its own. truly profound, carolvs. this brings back a lot of my own memories. beautiful.

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger ennui said...

I love this post. It's so honest.

 
At 4:29 PM, Blogger - litol figgy - said...

nicely said. i hope it WAS a nice surprise. :)

 
At 6:02 AM, Blogger Aleksu said...

It is amazing how certain things stay with us forever.

Sometimes we think we left then behind and suddenly, they jump right in front of us when we least expect them.

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger ninjato said...

Yep, it seems in all sorts of relationships, the hardest part is indeed letting go, and to put it all in perspective, I do think that life does sometimes give us tests to prove if we have truly done that...

 
At 4:35 PM, Blogger ennui said...

Though sometimes, I feel that we should just take a memory as if it were a photograph, just a piece of our life in frozen time. Not about holding on or letting go, rather simply as a beautiful image like it was back then.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post: