World is spinning
I was a little kid with little dreams; others dreamt the bigger ones for me. I was a kid who was content to ride his bike up and down the neighborhood and shoo the cats away from the flower bed. A succession of pets kept me busy. MTV kept me happy. Johnny Walker kept me quiet.I was also a kid who had apocalyptic visions of the future; the future being the day after, my apocalyptic visions invariably involving calculus exams. For some reason they're always there. Some nights I still awaken, startled, confounded by a differential problem. It's a prank that my mind likes to play on me.
"Where am I and what am I doing here?"
It's been years since I've stepped into a maths class, I realize; but the realization never ever lessens the distress.
I was a kid yesterday. But like most people, I had to grow up. I had to dream my own dreams. I had to learn to integrate experiences into lessons, to differentiate lessons into experiences. Tackle existence with calculus. Learn the secret geometry of my days, tucked in between which are bizarre episodes of maturation.
«Où est la voiture? Connaissez-la vous? La getaway car?»
The world sometimes spins too quickly. The »»fast»»forward»» button won't become unstuck. Such things happen; when they do, you'd best be properly braced. Learn to speed read. Learn to multi-task. Learn to pay your taxes and invest on retirement. And you gotta learn to say, sometime:
Stop the world! I wanna get off.

8 Comments:
i want to get off, too.
I wanna get off from this one and then ride another, the one that would bring me to the right direction. Sometimes my life seems so slow and sometimes I can't believe the weekend's over (like today!)
The human rollercoaster that is life...
hey, math ain't that bad? wait. is this about math?
This reminded me of one of my favorite lines in a Pink Floyd song:
"...I couldn't put my finger on it, now, the child is grown, the dream is gone, ..."
Mm. I like the dash of french in all this. Very nice.
college math was tough for me but what i like was when i would finally figure it out
and get a good grade for my efforts. it was a challenge i met. life on the other hand is
so much more complicated and i wish there was some equation for it.
growing up, adults always said 'time flies'. i didn't feel it back then but now i fully understand. if only we could pause>>rewind>> or slow it down.
great post :)
I've never really told you how much I enjoy reading your blogs. I love your very articulate and literate ways of presenting your thoughts; your world.
This is another one of those exceptional posts. I'm glad to have read it. You are an amazing writer.
Post a Comment
Links to this post: